Special Education Needs & Disability
Students with learning difficulties and/or additional needs are provided with a personalised programme of support at Patchway Community School.
We are aware that all young people are individuals and our approach is dependent on each young person’s needs and their personality.
We want to work in partnership with parents and carers throughout your child's time at Patchway Community School to ensure they achieve their full potential. If you are concerned about your child's learning needs and the progress they are making, please contact Helen Stentiford (Deputy SENDCo) on email@example.com
What are Special Educational Needs (SEN)?
A child has special educational needs (SEN) if he or she has learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for him or her to learn than most other children of about the same age.Many children will have special educational needs of some kind during their education and a few children will need extra help for some or all of their time in school.
Children make progress and different rates and have different ways in which they learn best. Teachers at Patchway Community School take account of this in the way they organise their lessons and teach. Children making slower progress or having particular difficulties in one area may be given extra help or different lessons to help them succeed. Students who have additional needs have a learning passport so that teachers can support their learning.
Special Educational Needs could mean that a child has:
- Learning difficulties - in acquiring basic skills in school
- Emotional and behavioural difficulties - making friends or relating to adults or behaving properly in school
- Specific learning difficulty - with reading, writing, number work or understanding information
- Sensory or physical needs - such as hearing or visual impairment, which might affect them in school
- Communication problems - in expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
- Medical or health conditions - which may slow down a child's progress and/r involved treatment that affects his or her education
Information Report 2021-22
Click here to see the following links:
- SEND Policy
- Special Educational Needs & Disability - A guide for parents and carers
- Support for ADHD (parents and pupils)
For further information or should you have any queries regarding SEND at Patchway Community School please contact our SENCO Melanie Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org